Wednesday 2 October 2013

Birthday Month Done

image
It's been 22 days since my birthday, and I really wanted to post something about how my celebration went down, but the surprises and events just extended through the end of the month, so I opted to wait it out a bit. As a start, I received the yummy treats posted above from one our Church's nice ladies. She missed one letter off my name, but whatevs, the cup cakes were delish, so I'll take them anytime. 



image
So when the clock strike 12, I crept down to the kitchen and had my first bite. It was a great way to start the whole day. I filed for a leave on that day, and my boss being such nice people let me take the day off. 

image
image
I actually spent a better part of the day just lying in bed, and a fraction of that time cuddling with my adorable niece and nephew. My niece, the one whose picture you are seeing above this paragraph is harder to woo as compared to her predecessors, so I am really exerting effort to make her like me. 

Around noon, I decided that I wanted to go to this place: imageI've only been here twice, the second visit during my birthday, so it's needless to say I'm pretty psyched about it. 


imageimageimage 
I also tried dressing up a bit, not bad right?


Here are some highlights of that trip to the National Museum
  • image
  • Got to see the Spolarium again. This stunner still brings me to tears every single time. 

  • imageimage
  • I was also able to see some of the works of Amorsolo, yes honey, the Fernando Amorsolo of the Philippine Art Scene. 

  • image
  • (Sunset in Paris by Juan Luna) Some of Juan Luna's other works were displayed on that day, this one is my favorite :)

  • image
  • And of course Rizal. People who know me understand that I have a love-hate relationship with this chap, but at the end of the day he is still our country's National Hero, so...RESPECT!

A large part of the reason of me enjoying the day was being with Jonapots 
imageShe was a bit apprehensive on coming, but I guess she liked it too (see she's smiling, that's rare).

After the museum trip, I decided to be spontaneous and take a kalesa or Carriage drive around the Kalaw area
.image
image

After 25 years, I was also able to finally see Rizal's execution area. I'm into the Philippine's History, so I guess it's kinda big deal to me. image


We decided to walk around a bit...image
image
..but it started to drizzle, and since I just got back from a severe cold, potsie and I decided to call it a day. 

Mama thought a birthday is incomplete without pancit so she had 2 kilos of it cooked against my protestation and lack of budget for it. At the end, I indulged a bit too and bought ice cream. There are no pictures because we destroyed the food within the hour after Pots and I got home, sorry. 


image
I ended the day with Mama. She waited up for me to get home so that she can eat pancit with her birthday girl (nwaaaw...isn't that precious). I really thank God for her. 


So, a week after that, long after all the possible late greeting could be greeted, this little thing came...imageimage
Someone sent this, the package marked only with my name and my home address. I thought it odd, and tried asking around. No one knows. I eventually got to the root of it. A friend from Hungary sent it, it was sweet on how he got the address and tried keeping mum about it. 

ACTUAL THOUGHTS FOR THIS YEAR'S BIRTHDAY:
A year ago, I made one of the biggest decisions of my entire life. Back then, I thought I'll be spending at least 2 of my coming birthdays somewhere else, far from the people that I love. But the Lord had different plans, and the past year proved to be one where He wanted to prove just how awesome He can get. I went to travel to places I never even dreamed of going to, ate food that I swore I would not even dare touch, met people and adjusted to their cultures and have come to understand that, yes, despite of my perceived liberality of myself, I am still living in a box of comfort, familiar, risk-free environment. I was able to actually be alone, experience extreme sadness that can magically go away by just hearing my mother's voice, and know that the craving I have for the Lord, His presence, His Word and His ministry that I thought I have long overcame. He was always there, when confronted by choices so big and daunting, He reminded me that in Him there is safety and assurance. And He taught me that there are things more important than wealth and goals, that hearing a friend's laughter up close and personal is still better than hearing it over skype. That my father's winner anti-fever soup can put to shame any advanced drug someone from somewhere fancy can develop. When I came back home, I had fears of facing the questions, the assumptions and perhaps that mockery that I thought will welcome me, I was wrong of course. The people that I really went home for, were more than happy to have me back. That saying "The people who matter  don't mind, those who mind don't matter" really made sense then. I am just really glad that despite whatever mistakes I made, the hasty choices and the unplanned stuff that unraveled, I am still alive. Actually that deserved a YEY, Yey for me, for not dying for the past 24 years, when I had countless of opportunities to be and do so. The Lord's grace didn't falter, He sent people, great ones, who in their own ways, big or small, helped me back up. He made me realize that His love for me is far greater than anything.


TO YOU, BECAUSE YOU ARE READING THIS TOO..
Thank you. For being a part of the last year, for giving me the chance to actually be a part of your life too. I hope that you'll stay longer. I pray that you see Jesus in me, even just a tiny bit of Him. I hope that somehow I made a good difference in your life. Thank you for being alive, and giving yourself a chance in this life. I hope to know you better. And please know that... image
you are part of the reason for this smile :) Thanks again :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hey :) Is there something you would like to say?