Tuesday 16 August 2016

Winging it, One Ukay-Ukay Dress at a Time

I tend to get days like this, oddly enough, yes. I plan for it, work around the details and then I mess up, or things just unravel on their own, I dunno.



“She can wear a veil, an eye mask, even a potato sack over her head - it doesn't matter. True beauty never fades; it radiates the kind of glow, that makes you turn your head and look, same way you unconsciously look for the stars, when the night is dark.”

Veronika Jensen



For a skinny kid that had to take food supplements when she was younger, I got fat. I gained weight and I actually cherish it. I look like a stick figure when I was in high school and with cup size like mine at that age, you would think that I had boys chasing me around, but nope. I was so busty and thin and boyish all at the same time that it didn't make a good combination.

So yeah, I got fat. I like it. What I don't like is the wardrobe upgrade that had to come with it. Most of my clothes that I wear now are remnants of my college days and early working years, so as expected most of them are pretty tight.

Because of the new (well not so new now) job I have to carefully plan my weekly wardrobe the weekend before since I only have very little time in the morning to even wash my face properly. Last Sunday night as part of that routine, I tried this pants and  blazer ensemble for Monday and even though it hugs the curves that I so love a bit too well, I thought "Meh, might as well wing it".That's what I thought.

Dead wrong. As I was rushing out of the jeepney very early the next morning, the pants ripped. My gulay. I tried staying calm, especially with the thought that I'll be just seated most of the time in my part time job, I can still manage it. After all, I could just drop by Cubao to get  a new pair before commuting to the office. 8 am being too early for Malls to open, I found myself in a thrifkt store. Ukay-Ukay is one of the reason I manage to dress myself, I definitely wouldn't spend thousands of bucks for one particular clothing item if I can get a ton-full of dresses with the same amount. What a blessing. I chanced upon this steal of a dress, the catch? The zipper is at the back.

I didn't have the time to actually tour the shop for a better option, plus it's super cute and such a steal. But the blasted zipper, it stood in the way of me successfully salvaging this particular Monday. I couldn't get that cursed zipper higher beyond my bra hook. I peeked out of the fitting room and surveyed the shop for anyone that could help me and there are people indeed, only that they are men.  I started panicking, I thought, "pano kung isipin nila na nang-se-seduce ako at ma-rape ako ng di oras?!" (Yeah I am over the top like that at that times). I was in the fitting room for such a long time, taking a peek outside once in a while out hoping for any woman client, but to my dismay no one came around.

Time check, 8:50 no progress.
Linunok ko ang hiya at dignidad ko and I finally asked for help from one of the store attendant. I think he found my dilemma amusing. With the fitting room door open he held the zipper and said, "Naku Maam, mukhang di kasya."
Bwisit! Blasted! Crap crap crap!

"Kuya itaas mo na lang, kasya yan. Late na ako.
I had a feeling with the dress, it fits, it will fit, it should fit. This must happen.

To the attendant's surprise he was able to close that cursed zipper and I was able to fit in it quite nicely. When I got out of the fitting room, all of the staffs are sniggering and trying not to laugh. I held my head high and ran to the MRT station, when I got there there was this line winding down the next stairs. Amazing. And it's just Monday. Phew! Consolation: This dress is a stunner. I have no regrets. 

D died  hibernated last Summer and fell into a weird dream and is now just waking up again. She commits to writing more or at least show up here once in a while. All is well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hey :) Is there something you would like to say?