Thursday 4 September 2014

9 to 25: Plip-Plop of Raindrops and The Loss of Gilas

I arrived early at the arranged place where we would meet. I left the office as soon as I could because I already anticipated that the rush hour coupled with the heavy rain would only result to an unbearable traffic. We must have an hour headway if I want to make it to the screening. I told her that we have to meet at 6:30pm at a Mall, a popular stop, just near the train station, take a jeepney to the University theater and we could purchase the ticket for the screening with plenty of time to grab something to eat while watching the film.

6:25pm, I called her cellphone, wondering what time she left the house, her mother picked up telling me that she left about 10 minutes ago without the phone. Geeze, now I'm worried. I tried to push the dread down, fighting the thought that we might not be able to locate each other with the crowd by the entrance of the mall thickening every minute. I decided to give her 30 minutes considering that the traffic will be slow paced as compared to the 8-10 minute that it'll normally take from her house to where I am. She's not a child anymore I know, but thinking how upset she'll get if we didn't meet is just a bothersome thought.


I willed myself to focus on the rain. It's September, and my birthday month. It's been known to be generally wet and cold, the first signs of Christmas. Man, what if she only have enough money to get to our meeting spot and then we couldn't meet, what then? How will she get home? I tried shaking my head to chase away the thought, I'll be so busted with her brother. Again the rain D, the rain. Peaceful, falling, unabashed rain.

6:50pm, seriously dude? Where are you? I turned on my mobile radio, swallowed  the bile at the back of my throat caused by the building panic. There are jeeps available for me to get in but I wouldn't  be able to live with myself if I leave not knowing where she is. The sound of the conversation over the airwaves caught my attention, I focused on that instead, with my eyes scanning the crowd from time to time. The theater is not that strict, they will not start on time, we could still make it.

A song that may be popular now but I don't recognize started playing, I took out my phone made a quick slide and gazed at the time, 7:05pm it mockingly said. I was still staring at it when a call came in, her brother. I hurriedly answered and was soon reminded that the cellphone signals suck all the more during these rainy days, I was answered by my own voice repeating into the mouth piece. I hanged up and tried dialing, nothing. The call ended unconnected, thank you Telecom conglomerates for the top-notch service! I was typing a text when it rang again from her supposed left-at-home phone and on the other side was her voice. She went on how she was unable to get in a jeepney and the line of people waiting for a ride spanning 3 blocks. I was relieved knowing where she is. She told me that she would not go anymore and insisted that I go alone. I glanced at the jeepney stop and sure enough there is already a long line of people waiting. I was about to tell her that I won't go anymore, with the odds that I have I won't make it to the first 30 minutes of the film when the line died once more.

I turned my heel and headed for the jeepney stop to go home when she texted that I buy food for her instead, she was rained on after all and had to wait 45 minutes. I calculated the said duration from the time I called her mother, and irritation started building up within me. I was more worried than irritated at her, not having a phone to contact her and all. But her attempts to console me with her own 'difficult' experience didn't water down the fact that I had to wait too and that I was worried sick. I berated her with questions why she didn't leave the house earlier as I instructed her and hinting that leaving her phone at home when we have an appointment is just irresponsible. I know that she didn't deliberately cause the traffic and the rain, but she is supposed to know these things too, right? She answered with  more reasons and without a single apology. I was not mad actually, I was just worried and tired from waiting and wondering, but all the excuses just did me in. So I didn't reply, and just went home instead. She's never the type to say sorry unless pointed out, and I didn't have the strength for that. Telling her directly what she needs to do to appease me is just draining.

I came home to my old man sitting on the couch. The National Basketball Team had a match and I thought, well this may be a better alternative. So I sat there and tried watching the game, funny thing about the human mind though, unless it is finally settled with something it won't just let you be. So to settle the nagging under-developed annoyance I posted something online. I know, I know, that was really immature of me, but I'm a girl too. Sure enough, she commented and with more excuses, no surprise there.

The game ended, and though the National Team started with 14 points lead in the 1st quarter they still loss. I went to bed and listened to the drumming of the rain on our tin roof, plip-plop it said, creating a lulling melody. I went to sleep, wondering how different things would have been if I saw the film instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hey :) Is there something you would like to say?