Tuesday 19 August 2014

Going Places: Bataan 1st Solo trip (Mt. Samat and Dunsulan Falls)

BATAAN GREEN LANDS
BACK STORY (because I need one)


I've always been envious of people who regularly go on  trips and just have an adventure. They post all of these pictures and experiences and I find myself on the side walk, just eating my heart out. With all that happened to me in the recent months I started craving to go to different places, however the fear of going alone fazed me. I constantly think that a lot of things can go wrong and that I may not be capable of going on a solo trip, however upon reading travel blogs I realized that like me (or somehow like me), they were beginners too, and the only thing different is that they took the first step in what is now a trend of young professionals who are more open to travelling and chasing down the opportunities of new experiences. Here's my feeble attempt.



PLANNING!

The idea of a solo trip came to me around June (2014), things were a bit gloomy for me then and the idea just kept on bouncing back after I disregarded it. "Nadadala lang ako ng bugso ng damdamin" is what I told myself, however when the dark clouds of self depreciating thoughts and recurring nostalgic memories had passed, I really felt that this is something that I could and should do. I am not a fan of planning, it seems like narrowing down the probability of fun of going somewhere, however as I grew older I've come to realized that it is necessary. So the research began, I've only been to Bataan twice, both times with family and in the comfort of my uncles' cars, so finding out how to get there is the first step in my sorry excuse of a travel plan. I go to the internet, and as it turns out it'll only take about 2 to 3 hour bus trip from Manila to Bataan. Travel blogs like one of The Pinay Solo Backpacker and Pinoy Mountaineer were great help on the early stages of my planning. With the right information, one can save time, money and avoid probable inconvenience. Also, as it turns out, an itinerary is needed, so I tried my best and came up with this:

PLANNED ITINERARY FOR THE TRIP
A budget must be arranged too,and if you have the financial responsibilities that I have, you know that it greatly affects any plan, so again with the internet! The Backpacker's Adventures' and Pinoy Mountaineer's posts helped me arrived at a ballpark figure of just Php 1,000.00 to get around comfortably in Bataan and back to Manila safely. 

SCHEDULE!

In all actuality I follow a rigorous work schedule, so trying to have fun away from the hustle and bustle of the Metro whenever I want to is quite difficult and will involve a great deal of planning and saving up. I have a part time from 5 am to 8 am in the morning and we follow Korean holidays and have to work on Philippine holidays. In addition to this I have a day job from 9 am to 6 am, add to that my social activities and Church responsibilities, I am then left with very little personal time. So whenever a Korean holiday comes around I try my best to enjoy it fully. Imagine not dragging yourself out of bed at 4 am in the morning, get dressed and try to make it to the office by 4:50, if you can't imagine it just take my word for it, it is as sweet as sweet can be. My day job has some pretty flexible leave schedules and so when August 15 came around which happens to be South Korean Liberation Day, I filed for a leave right away. 

AND OFF WE GO TO BATAAN

Unlike what I planned, I got up 30 minutes later on the day of the trip. I just wanted to relish the feeling that I do not need to hasten to get to work and keep up with the office' strict bundy clock. I made sure to pack my lunch and eat a good hearty breakfast before leaving, home cooked meal is still better and it's a good way to save and keep my desired budget. I got to Genesis Bus Station and got on an almost departing  bus. They have buses leaving every 15 minutes so no worries of not finding  a seat and with a just Php 200.00 I enjoyed a safe smooth ride.

Clear roads and a promising look of the sky greeted the start of my day. Upon arriving at Balanga Terminal, I was advised to take a jeepney for Brgy. Bagac. I paid Php 47.00 and told the driver that I'll be getting off at Mt. Samat's jump site. 1 hour and 25 barangays later I found out that I am way off from my actual destination, and had no other choice but to take a jeepney back to finally get to Diwa, Pilar, Bataan, where the jump site is. As a side trip I saw the Bagac Phil-Japan Friendship Tower.









When I finally got to Diwa I am already way off my itinerary and the sun is high up in the sky already. There were offers from tricycle drivers to take me up to the peak, but I already set it upon myself to trek it all the way up to that humongous Mt. Samat cross. The sun was scorching hot and I was already sweating profusely with just 15 minutes into the trek, good thing that nature's beauty made up for it. 
NAKAKATANGGAL PAGOD ANG KAGANDAHAN :)





FINALLY LAPU-LAPU, NAGKATAPAT DIN TAYO!


I was told that there was no electricity in Mt. Samat for more than a week, so the elevator that would take tourists 36 storey up inside that great cross was unavailable. Fortunately for me it just came back on moments before I reached the peak. You have to pay a registration fee of Php 20.00 upon entering the Dambana and another Php 10.00 to get inside the cross and enjoy the view
THE FACE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT, MAN AM I MIGHTY PROUD OF MYSELF DURING THIS MOMENT



THE SCENERY LOOKING OUT  FROM INSIDE MT. SAMAT'S CROSS






I had lunch by the Dambana and took my time while I was up inside the cross. I started descent a little passed 2 in the afternoon and arrived back at the jump site quicker than I expected. I am really way off my schedule and so I had to decide whether to pursue my plans of going to Dunsulan Falls. Even though I had my apprehensions and I am already tired then I thought I might as well take advantage of the opportunity of seeing the falls while I am in Bataan.

You have 2 options in going to Dunsulan Falls, the first one and the most convenient is to take a service tricycle for Php 400.00. It may sound too much but compared to your other option of walking 3 barangays for 3 hours (and another 3 hours back because there are no tricycle terminals there) I think it is much much safer to take a tricycle, not to mention that Mamang Tricycle would actually wait for you to take you back to Diwa. 











I arrived there and got the whole place all to myself! It gave me the opportunity to rest up and meditate a little. An affordable entrance fee of just Php 50.00 will be asked of you for enjoying such a lovely place. The sound of the falls lapping into the water is just so relaxing, I didn't want to leave right away. But I had to return to Manila the same day, so after a little less an hour I left to return back to Balanga. 



Kuya Jay-R: My trusty Mamang tricycle. He gave me 50% discount for the tricycle charge. Akala ko iiyak ako ng dugo para lang mapagbigyan but the negotiation was easier than I expected, nadala yata sa charm ko (see picture? haha) His means of transport was rather unconventional and I found myself clinging for dear life on the way to the falls. 











I returned to Balanga before 6 pm and had dinner before getting on a bus back to Manila. I was so beat that I fell asleep during the trip so easily. 

ACTUAL TURN OF EVENTS



ACTUAL BUDGET

Bus Fare to Balanga:           P    200.00
Jeepney to Bagac:                       47.00
Jeepney back to Diwa (side trip)  21.00
Registration Fee:                          20.00
Tricyle to and from Dunsulan:      200.00
Jeepney back to Balanga Terminal 19.00
Entrance Fee Dunsulan Fee:          50.00
Miscellaneous:                              150.00
Bus Fare to Manila:                       200.00
__________________________________
                                      P     907.00
It was a great experience, one that I am glad I did and had the courage to do. It is so liberating to actually know that you accomplished something all by yourself. I finally got the chance to spend time with myself and be alone with my thoughts. The last couple of months had been really crazy and the trip gave me the chance to sort through some clogged up parts of my brain. An added bonus is the look of surprise on people's faces whenever they learn that I am on a solo trip, that warm feeling of being proud of yourself is simply priceless. Of course caution was constantly practiced, it would not be really nice if I end up somewhere I don't want to be just because I was reckless. The trip made me realize all the more God's greatness, imagine He made all of what I saw and He made them masterfully, what a Genius! One should really take some time off her usual schedule and make time for some pondering and meditation, it helps in the process of understanding yourself and the world around you. 


I guess what people had been saying are true, you can get the travel bug like a disease, and man, am I burning up with enthusiasm. Now where to for my next trip? :)

6 comments:

  1. Kudos to you Din!!! I enjoyed reading about your adventure & admire your guts in travelling solo!....will be waiting for your next trip! Keep safe! ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ako din. While I travel around a lot because of work, I don't think I can do this on my own.

    Who would book the tiks, look for place to stay, san kakain, et cetera? (Which suddenly makes me thankful for the main office and the people who do these, for me.).

    Brave girl. I have never been. Magawa nga minsan. 2019. Ahahahahhaa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is *your work anyway? Parang andami-dami-dami. Haha, talo pa ako.

      You should try it, it's very liberating and the amount of self discovery is not really like what they say, mas subtle, mas effectual.

      Delete
  3. Ahahaha. You said it, woman! That's okay, I like "andami-dami-dami" werk. Love to werk. Werk is all there is, sometimes.

    Oo nga. Sabi ko. 2019. *laughs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, masaklap. But do it now, waiting it out may only water down the desire. Go na,as in, now na.

      Delete

Well hey :) Is there something you would like to say?