Tuesday 1 September 2015

1st of 11: Bring it On!



Like last year I am taking it upon myself to write everyday from the 1st till the 11th of September. I've been very lazy despite of my resolve at the beginning of the year to exercise writing constantly and actually posting it, cause I have to keep appearance with my internet existence and then some other superficial reason like that. 



     So I started September with a great task upon me, I am looking for a job. This is unusual. I've never been jobless on my birthday month and to add pressure to the entire matter, my savings is dwindling down, so it's needless to point out that there seemed to be an imaginary timer up on my head upon starting this month. There are bills to pay, brother's tuition to worry about, dad's medication to maintain and books to buy but never read. Reality is hard. (Lol, I went a little dark there for a moment).

     The 1st of my September didn't start well, but I am not gonna let it drag the entire month with it. I was late for the part time tutoring job that I have in the morning and got into an argument with my team leader, whom I've known for years. Well I love this job, I kept this and I am considering of keeping this position for another 3 years or so, in lieu of that I shall not saying anything of the matter with her. 

     Also on the 1st of September 2015, I had my first job interview for an HR position. This is a big deal, because I am actually applying for a job related to my course. It took almost 5 years to get me here and I was so nervous. I actually had 3 interviews scheduled for today but since they were all supposedly 1-Day processing, I needed to ask for a rescheduling from the other two. One of them replied while the other simply ignored me, too far anyway. So I came to the 1st interview and presented my resume, the place was so drab (really, no exaggeration), it looks like a place that recruits illegal workers. I may sound bitter by saying these things especially with how the interview ended up but I have to be honest. The area is cramped and the ceiling too low. The building was so old, I was a bit worried about how much of a fire hazard it was. They were screening multiple applicants and we were sorted into groups with Customer Service Related (CSR) experience. I had at least 8 months experience in the call center industry and almost 4 years in a related industry (the job that I have now) and so I was grouped with these other 4 applicants. It took them more 1 hour to interview us that I am already starting to fall asleep. When my name was called I was faced with this Chinese looking Senior Account Manager and he started berating me with question too hard for me to understand. I get that I am unprepared for the position but he asked all these questions in a manner that only made me think either he doesn't like me or that he is only pushing applicants like me to take a CSR position. And so I failed and I refused the CSR position. I met up a friend for lunch instead and went home and slept. 

     After my nap, I started searching for questions that may be asked during my future interviews and it dawned on me that I may not be qualified for any HR post. First of all I am older now as compared to fresh grads with a similar work experience, which is nada-zip-zero. I've never been not accepted in a position before and so the feeling of disappointment and rejection is like a bile that is hard to swallow. I have to get used to this. And so the adventure continues today, let's see where my 'trying to be an adult' boots will take me tomorrow.  

2 comments:

  1. "There are bills to pay, brother's tuition to worry about, dad's medication to maintain..." Super woman ka pala. :-) Pasensya na, personal na tanong yata ito: paano mo nagagawang hindi maging makasarili? Ayos lang kung hindi mo sasagutin.
    Oo nga pala, bakit "her" at hindi "his?" Naponood ko na minsan si J. Oliver. 'Yung isa kong kaibigan, hindi mahilig manuod ng TV pero 'pag nanunuod s'ya, gusto 'yung palabas ni Oliver. Sino si A. Bourdain? Paumanhin at madami akong tanong...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kumusta? :) Una sa lahat nagulat ako na may nagbabasa pala talaga ng mga sinusulat ko dito, kaya naman naiyak ako nung nag-iwan ka pa ng mga tanong. Ay sows, ang iyakin ko lang talaga. Marami ngang tanong, sana maging sapat ang mga sasabihin ko.

      > "...paano mo nagagawang hindi maging makasarili?"
      -Believe me I am not not selfish, iniisip ko pa lang ang mga potensyal ko para maging makasarili ay naiiling na lang ako, ngunit ganun pa man mananatili ang mga bagay na nabanggit ko dito at ang mga bagay na ito ay di pwedeng takbuhan, bagkus ay marapat lang ipagpasalamat. Having the opportunity and capability to help your family is not given to most people, so I relish in this fact, kahit mahirap sya minsan, joke lagi pala. And if you think I am a superwoman, you should see/hear about my mom, di na tao yun eh.


      > "Oo nga pala, bakit "her" at hindi "his?" Naponood ko na minsan si J. Oliver. 'Yung isa kong kaibigan, hindi mahilig manuod ng TV pero 'pag nanunuod s'ya, gusto 'yung palabas ni Oliver. Sino si A. Bourdain?"
      -sa profile description ko ba ito galing? "her" because I am referring to myself here, 3rd person keme. In an alternate reality pinakasalan ko na si Jaime Oliver, mostly because ang cute nya, secondary na yung galing nyang magluto and I feel deep in my heart that we are hippie soulmates. Si Anthony Bourdain ay isang renowned travel show host, but he started off as a chef first. Know him better by following his twitter account: https://twitter.com/Bourdain.

      Salamat sa pagdaan. Ingat ka. :)

      -D

      Delete

Well hey :) Is there something you would like to say?